Have you coated your face in Vaseline recently? Then you’ve been #slugging! No clue what we’re talking about? Then we’re also glad you’re here! The slugging trend has taken the beauty world by storm via TikTok and Reddit. We asked Jenette what she thought of this phenom and how to slug with minimum damage and maximum moisture. Because we totally get it. Trends are powerfully persuasive. Who doesn’t want a super hydrated glow you can get from just a simple, inexpensive regimen? Sorry to slow your roll, beauties… There is no quick and easy hack for achieving healthy skin. But if you want to jump on the slugging beauty bandwagon, here’s how to slay like the savvy trendsetter you are!
What Is Slugging?
Slugging started as a K-Beauty trend. It refers to coating your face in a thin layer of an occlusive product like Vaseline, Petroleum Jelly, or Aquaphor to max out your moisture and rescue dry, dehydrated skin. Slugging is done as an evening regimen, often layered on top of your regular moisturizer, with the idea that you wake up with a well-hydrated glow. The effect is shiny or slimy, like a slug — hence the term. Social media influencers are hooked, and it’s suddenly all over the place! But is it actually good for your skin?
What Are Occlusives and Are They Bad?
Occlusives form a protective layer on the surface of your skin, trapping in moisture and creating a barrier to prevent trans-epidermal moisture loss. The use of petrolatum in skincare certainly isn’t new. Vaseline is Martha Stewart’s secret skincare weapon, and Marilyn Monroe swore by it. There was a time when women wouldn’t go to bed without a thick layer of cold cream to prevent moisture loss and aging. And, of course, people use things like Vaseline for wound healing and delicate baby butt diaper rashes. So really, the practice itself isn’t new. What’s new is the cute and catchy term “slugging.”
So should you try it? Yes, moisture is a must, but never put Petroleum Jelly on your face. First of all, Petroleum Jelly comes from gasoline and is carcinogenic. Secondly, it is not allowing your skin to breathe. Thirdly, it will trap everything underneath it, like bacteria, sweat, and dead skin cells, which can clog pores and cause acne to erupt. In fact, you might interrupt your entire biome of your skin, throwing off your pH. Trust us. There’s a better way!! Jenette has been “slugging” for years with her trusted go-to slug product: Be Nourished — Age Defying Moisturizer.
Slug with Be Nourished – Age Defying Moisturizer!
Be Nourished does not rely on mineral oils but on rich shea butter and sunflower phospholipids to make it so silky and creamy. This hyper-charged hydrator prevents connective tissue damage and repairs the skin on a profound cellular level without trapping in things you do not want to trap in! So if you’re dying to slug, apply a thick layer (about a nickel-sized amount) of this miracle moisturizer over your clean skin and hyaluronic acid to get the desired slugging effect. Better yet, learn how to slug à la Jenette, via effective layering! It takes a little more time, but it’s a “hack” that thirsty skin will drink up.
Slug the Jenette Way!
Always ahead of her time, as we mentioned, Jenette has been slugging for years — but entirely sans occlusives. If you want to reset your skin and maximize moisture like a pro, indulge in luxurious layering. Here’s the routine Jenette has perfected:
- Always start with clean skin; ideally, a double cleanse.
- Mist your face with Be Divine — Age Defying Toner.
- Massage a nickel-sized amount of Be Calm — Brightening C Serum.
- Then apply a generous amount of Potion No. 2 — Age-Defying Serum for 2 minutes.
- Follow up with a thick layer of Just Add Sugar — Cacao Herb Infused Masque OR Magic Matcha Green tea Superfood Masque. Rinse off well after 20-30 minutes.
- Finally, add the pièce de résistance: Be Nourished — Age Defying Moisturizer. (For the Be Nourished to glide on more easily after the masque, wipe your face with your favorite Jenette toner.)
Happy to know how you nourish and hydrate parched and compromised skin to get that head-turning, covetable glow that endures beyond a slick selfie moment? Then slug away with abandon! Just be mindful of the products you use.
- Tags: anti aging, anti aging layering skincare, anti aging skincare, anti aging skincare organic, aroma therapy, at home skin care, Be Calm, be divine, botanical skincare, botanicals for skincare, cacao, chocolat masque, chocolate mask, clean living, clean skincare, cold pressed essential oils, Divine, essential oils, essential oils for skincare, green tea mask, green tea masque, health and wellness, holistic skincare, home facial, ingredients clean skincare, jenette all natural skin care, jenette all natural skincare, jenette skin care, jenette skincare, layering natural skincare, layering skincare, luxury natural skin care, luxury natural skincare, luxury skincare, masque, matcha green tea mask, matcha green tea masque, matcha in skin care, matcha mask, matcha masque, matcha skin, matcha skincare, natural anti aging, natural ingredients, natural skin care, natural skin care routine, natural skincare, natural skincare brands, natural solutions, non toxic ingredients skin care, non toxic ingredients skincare, non toxic skincare, oil soluble vitamin c, organic cold pressed essential oils, organic essential oils, organic skincare, organic skincare lines, organic skincare products, pigmentation, reef spf, self care, selfcare rituals, skin guru, skin masque, skin ritual, skincare, skincare education, skincare expert, skincare masks, skincare tip, skincare tips, slug, slugging, summer skin, superfoods, sustainable principles, sustainable products, sustainable skincare, Transform your skin, vitamin c, vitamin c serum